Questions are very common in the technology field. At Akins PC Repair we like to give you some basic answers so you don't spend all of your time on the phone or hovering over your email box to get a response. If you feel there is a question that you would like to see posted please email us. Remember that if you have a question chances are you are not the only one.
Q: Replacement glass for cell phones seems cheap online, why is the repair cost so much?
A: While it is true that glass is cheap with most pieces ranging between $3 to $15, the repair process is difficult and time consuming. On most devices that is a layer of adhesive known as LOCA that must be removed and reapplied during the repair. If this process is not done correctly you can damage your display.
Q: I had a tempered glass screen protector on my phone but the screen still broke, why?
A: While tempered glass is strong it is not indestructible. A hard enough impact will go through the protector and shatter the screen.
Q: Am I safe just using a free anti-virus program?
A: There is nothing wrong with using a free anti-virus, we recommend many free programs to our customers. The thing to note is that a free anti-virus is just that. You still need other protection such as a firewall, anti-malware, anti-spyware, and anti-rootkit. There are many paid programs that offer a complete security suite.
Q: Can a smartphone or tablet get a virus?
A: Yes, any device that is connected to the internet is capable of getting a virus. There are many free and inexpensive anti-virus programs for these devices and we recommend that you use some kind of protection.
Q: Is there such thing as a virus proof computer?
A; No, the reason that PC's are so prone to viruses is that hackers will target the majority. If only 5% of the population is using an operating system chances are they will not be targeted as frequent as the other 95%. As with any device it is always important to follow safe browsing practices and use some type of security.
Q: My phone will not charge, is the charging port damaged?
A: A broken charging port might be the cause and in most cases these units can be switched out. There are exceptions to the rules though. Make sure if you are using a 3rd party extended battery that it matches the voltage requirements of your phone. We recommend using OEM equipment or equipment provided by a major carrier.